Alumni New Venture Competition 2020
New England Region
Congratulations to Smoodi
- HBSAB invites all HBS Alumni working on an early-stage startup to apply to the New England New Venture Competition (NVC).
- Teams will compete in the regional competition for a chance to represent our region in the HBS global finals.
- This competition is open to all HBS alumni and both for-profit and not-for-profit companies are eligible.
- NVC is sponsored by the Harvard Business School’s Rock Center for Entrepreneurship and Alumni Clubs & Associations.
- Winners receive an invitation to the student and alumni New Venture Competition Finale to be held on campus
Application & Key Steps
- APPLY. To learn how to apply, email John Carrier, VP of Entrepreneurship for the HBS Association of Boston
- CONNECT. Apply to one of 8 global regions and participate in local programming, mentorship and early-stage feedback opportunities. *Club activities vary by region.
- COMMIT. The deadline for submission for the 2021 NVC has not been determined yet. A Pitch Deck (PDF) will be required to be submitted.
- REGIONAL COMPETITIONS. Each region will shortlist applicants to pitch their plans at their local competition—an opportunity to gain invaluable feedback, exposure, and experience. The regional winners will move forward to the global finals round in April to take place just prior to the NVC Finale.
- GLOBAL FINALS ROUND & NVC FINALE. The selected global finalists will present to a panel of judges as well as pitch at the live finale event where the Grand Prize, Runner-Up and Crowd Favorite Winners will be selected.
Winner Prizes & Benefits
2020 New England Region Winner Prizes
- Opportunity to claim the 2020 HBS New England NVC regional title.
- Access to Anthem Innovation’s data sandbox, courtesy of Anthem Innovation and IBM.
- 3 months of CIC co-working space and membership in the C3 Community at the One Broadway in Cambridge location for a team up to 5 people.
- Each NVC participant will receive discounted Shoobx Software subscriptions and the Top 2 Finalists will receive 1-year of Free Shoobx Software Subscription + Free Onboarding, an estimated value of $8,500.
Top 2 Finalists will be entered into the Hubspot for Startups program, an estimated value of ~$31K per company over 3 years: $17K in year 1, $9.5K in year 2 and $4.8K in year 3.
- Receive valuable feedback on your business plan.
- Meet and present to qualified investors.
- Meet other New England entrepreneurs & potential HBS mentors.
- Chance to move onto the Global Competition in Boston.
2021 New England Region Winner Prizes: To Be Determined
Special Thanks to Our Corporate Parnters
2020 Global Winner Prizes
- 1st Place Prize: $75,000
- 2nd Place Prize: $25,000
- Crowd Favorite: $5,000
- In-kind services (TBD)
- Access to potential investors
- Invitation to the NVC Finale at HBS in April
2021 Global Winner Prizes: To Be Determined
Volunteer as a Mentor or Judge
Put your business experience to work and volunteer to be a MENTOR and work as an advisor to one of the teams.
Or volunteer to be a JUDGE at the 2021 regional semi-finals or finals in early Spring.